Saturday, January 30, 2010

A new beginning

Welcome to my newest venture, Building a Healthier Life!

Who am I? Well, I'm Liz - also known to my blogging friends as Builder Mama. I started blogging a few years back, chronicling my life as a 30-something mom and wife working in the construction industry. My blog involves a lot of cussing, bourbon, boobs, and general debauchery.

Last December, due to a string of events in my family, I was diagnosed with elevated Lp(a). This is a blood protein that acts like plaque in your arteries and if your levels are elevated, it is dangerous even if you have great cholesterol levels. In a nutshell, my chances of heart attack and stroke are elevated by something ridiculous like 65%.

There's nothing like a diagnosis like that to make you reassess your life. I've always been interested in fitness and nutrition, but now it has a whole other meaning in my life. I'm no longer on a diet - I'm in a lifestyle change.

Now I'd be a liar if I said this was easy. I hate working out. I love to cook but have a passion for cheese, fried foods, and chocolate that would make a nun blush. So this is a journey to find a middle ground that is healthy but doesn't involve eating dirt or pinecones. And also to learn how to balance family, work, and taking care of myself - which is a battle most people face every day.

I'm hoping that along the way, I can share what I learn with you - and I can learn from you as well. Don't worry - there will still be boobs and cussing and such. But there will also be recipes, fitness tips, and general lifestyle discussions. And I'm sure some recaps of the groaning around my dinner table as I present my latest concoction.

Thanks for joining me on my journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment